Can You Use a Bridge/EBT/Snap Card in Another State?

(Last Updated On: February 11, 2014)

Bridge Card
Question: Can You Use a Bridge Card/EBT in Another State?

Answer: If you are heading on vacation or just crossing the border into a neighboring state and are wondering if you can use your food assistance, the answer is Yes. If you are someone that qualifies for food assistance whether it’s called a bridge card, EBT card, or SNAP card you can use it in other states other than the one who issued it to you. I got this information directly from USDA website by submitting a question to their Ask an Expert. I know for certain that a Michigan bridge card will work in Ohio.

If you think about it makes complete sense, if it didn’t work that would be confusing. A bridge card/EBT card in some ways are like a debit card. You have a certain amount in the account. You can use a debit card from a bank that doesn’t have a location in another state.

This is a big advantage if you live right near a border but never tried shopping in that state. It’s great for people who have to travel since they have a card they don’t have a lot of extra money to spend so being able to go into any grocery store (of course it has to accept food assistance cards to begin with) and buy food without having to just eat out is a huge help. I would imagine that farmer’s markets across the country that accept cards would also be an option. If you have a certain store you plan to shop it, it would be good to make sure they accept the card before heading in, that shouldn’t be a problem at the chain stores.

Has anyone tried to use a card in another state? Please share your experience below in our comment section.

If you live in the state of Michigan, take a moment to check out my list of stores and farmer’s markets that accept the Bridge Card.

Want to eat healthy food and support your local economy?. Learn how to eat locally grown food on a budget.

7 Replies to “Can You Use a Bridge/EBT/Snap Card in Another State?”

  1. […] out my post: Can You Use a Bridge/EBT/Snap Card in Another State? for the […]

  2. Rheanon Neatfeld says:

    I know for sure, from personal experience, that the MI bridge card works in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. I’ve only tried Kroger, Meijer, and Wal-Mart, but I never had an issue. It really comes in handy when you’re on vacation or need to take an emergency trip.

  3. Eric Samuelson says:

    Thanks for sharing your experience!

  4. I used my EBT in another state and my benefits were canceled
    I have been traveling to amother state on a monthly bases
    Looking for work. Now they tell me i have to apply in that state.
    I don’t understand that,I live in Michigan.

  5. Eric Samuelson says:

    That’s a crappy situation. Sorry that happened to you. I don’t know they cancelled it if you used it in another state. How long have you been doing that?

  6. If you use it for longer than 2 weeks in another state they will flag you and cancel your benefits because they think you no longer live in your current state.

  7. Eric Samuelson says:

    I did not know that, thanks for sharing!

Comments are closed.