Question: Where Can I Buy Purple (or Blue) Potatoes?
Answer: Last winter, I wrote a post on what are some sources to purchase purple potatoes to grow in your garden. I have gotten a lot of hits on this post recently. However I think a lot of people are just searching for where to buy the potatoes, not necessarily desiring to grow them. So I decided to answer that question in a post today.
Dr. Oz Mentions Purple Potatoes
Purple potatoes are becoming more popular. People like the pretty color, plus the beta-carotene that gives the potatoes their purple color is very good for us. On January 24th, 2014, the purple potato was mentioned by the popular Dr. Oz. He claims that purple potatoes can help lower your blood pressure. He even mentioned making your own purple potato chips. Check out my recipe for twice cooked potato chips and use purple potatoes instead of the Russett.
Here are some sources that I know of where you can get purple potatoes. I will add more to the list as I find more sources (so feel free to share where you have found them in the past). Keep in mind, the best place to check might be your local farmer’s market. A nice sized farmer’s market, should at least have one vendor selling them at some point in the year.
Below are some sources I know that sell them. If you have seen them yourself, please leave a comment below to share with my other readers.
Source for Purple or Blue Potatoes
1. Meijer stores (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky) sell bags of Green Giant Klondike Medley. This medley includes some purple potatoes.
2. BJ Warehouse Club stores sell those same bags of Klondike Medley.
2. Plum Market (Ann Arbor, MI) has had purple potatoes in stock before.
3. Trader Joe’s sells bags of mixed potatoes that include purple.
4. Melissa’s Produce (http://www.melissas.com/) carries purple potatoes. Their produce can be found in stores all over the country. Check their website to see what stores carry their products. You can then contact those stores to see if they carry them.
5. Frieda’s (http://www.friedas.com/baby-purple-potato/) a specialty produce company carried baby purple potatoes. You can find these potatoes at select Kroger stores.
6. Whole Foods Market occasionally will carry bags of mixed potatoes that include purple ones. You can find by the pound purple potatoes on occasion. Call the store to check for availability.
If you are having trouble finding some, again check the Farmer’s markets and also specialty grocery stores that specialize in organic produce. They often have purple potatoes. Or you could also grow them yourself! Check out my page on sources to buy seed potatoes. I grew Adirondack Blue last year.
If you are a fan of all purple roots, you should give Purple Sweet Potatoes a try too. They have started popping in stores from before Thanksgiving to around April. More are being grown each year.