Crackers, a classic American snack. Americans buy them by the case load. We can’t get enough for the crispy texture and the salty taste. They are the best friend of cheese. But how many of us make them ourselves, let allow even think about doing so. Several years ago I was reading a recipe by the good people over at Bob’s Red Mill. They are one of the leaders is all things grains and seem to have everything you are looking for. In that book were recipes to make your own crackers. I was intrigued. It was look before I became making my own cracker recipes. One of the first I made was these honey cornbread crackers. I love honey cornbread muffins – particularly this recipe for Blue Cornbread Honey Muffins. That recipe was my jumping off point for the cracker recipe.
The Ingredients I Chose
Bob’s Red Mill Fine Grind Corn Meal
This stone ground corn meal has an amazing flavor. I like the fine grind for the crackers as I found that larger grinds got stuck in my teeth.
You can use any honey you like. I want the best honey at my disposal. I like a honey that is strongly favored. Buckwheat honey makes a great choice, but I like the sourwood honey. It has a nice spicy bite to it. Any good wildflower honey would be good here too. If it doesn’t taste good don’t use it.
Rumford Baking Powder
I only use Rumford Baking Powder now. Why? Because it is a Non-GMO Baking Powder, and whenever I can avoid GMOs I will.
- 6 oz all-purpose flour (a little over 1 cup)
- 4 oz yellow cornmeal (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cut into 8 pieces)
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing on finished crackers
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Make sure you mix well to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Take the butter and with your hands rub it into the flour mixture. This is called cutting in the butter. Do this with your finger tips, you don’t want to melt the butter with your warm hands. Do this until the mixture looks like a bunch of crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey and milk. Add to the large bowl and mix to form a dough. Divide the dough in half. Place some flour on flat surface and using a rolling pin, roll each half of the dough to about ⅛ to 1/16 of an inch. Using a pizza cutter, cut the crackers to your desired size and shape. Try to keep the crackers the same size for even cooking. With a fork, pot holes into each crackers. Add some additional kosher salt to the top of the crackers.
- Place the crackers onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Make sure the crackers are not touching. Bake for 12-16 minutes. Checking on them 5-7 minutes in. Crackers are go from down to burnt quickly, so keep an eye on them and pull them when they look golden brown. Place onto a cooling rack. Brush with melted butter. Allow to completely cool before eating. Place them into an airtight container, where they should last 2 weeks, if you don’t eat them sooner!