Click here for the most up to date blueberry news.
We are beginning to pass the peak season of blueberry picking in Michigan. Some farms are closing down for u-pick and others are close. It seems most of the farms getting ready to close are the ones in southwestern lower Michigan (so if you leave in the east and north your chances are better). If you go and pick at any of these farms or already have this year I would love to hear about your experience, leave a comment below, including your e-mail address for if I have further questions. Now onto the updates from farms across the state.
1. Dexter Blueberry Farm (located to the west of Ann Arbor & downtown Dexter) has excellent picking conditions right now. Their Jersey variety has just come available and should be ripe for the picking for the next 2 weeks. They sell for $1.60 a pound. I picked there on Saturday, July 31st. Click here to read about my experience. Click here to visit their website.
2. Woodland Berry Farms in Zeeland, MI is winding down their blueberry season. They still have good picking on Blue Crop and Jersey varieties through tomorrow (8/7/10). Then they will send their machine to pick the rest of the berries, so you need to get their fast! They charge $1.25 a pound. For more information call them at (616) 875-8853 or visit their website.
3. Jones Berry Farm in Bridgman, MI will have their last day for u-pick on Sunday, August 8th. The cost is $1.35 a pound. Click here to visit their website.
4. Rambo Blueberries also located in Bridgman is closing for picking after today (8/6/10). They recommend you call ahead before you come in. Their phone number is (269) 426-4074. Click here to visit their website.
5. Czaika’s Blueberry Farm in Tawas City has LOTS of blueberries for picking. They are charging $1.00 per pound (that’s cheap!) If you wish to reach them you can call them at (989) 326-4638 or visit their website for updates.
6. Croswell Berry Farm in Croswell, MI (6 miles west of Lexington) should be open for picking now. Call 810-679-3273 for crop conditions before coming. Click here for their website.
7. Hazen’s Farm in Howell, MI is NOW open for picking. I had a friend visit their farm yesterday and said the picking was great. They are charging $1.42 a pound. For more information call 517-548-1841. Click here for their website.
8. Harvey’s Farm in Tekonsha, MI is NOW open for picking. They charge $1.25 per pound. They are located right off I-69, exit #25 (head west on M-60 1/4 mile to 15 Mile Road. Go north 1/4 mile to the farm located at 2651 15 Mile Rd.). Click here for their website.
9. DeGrandchamp’s Blueberry Farm in South Haven should be offering u-pick until August 15th. They are open daily from 8am-6pm. Click here for their website.
10. Kendall’s Blueberries in Hastings (about 50 miles southwest of Lansing) is CLOSED for the season. If you still wish to contact them, their phone number is 269-945-3735 or click here for their website.
11. Kapnick Orchards in Britton (close by to Adrian and Tecumseh) is OPEN for u-pick. They charge $2.00 a pound. Their phone number is 517-423-7419. Click here for their website.
12. Spicer Orchards in Fenton is currently open for picking. Please call ahead. Their phone number is (810) 632-7692 and click here for their website.
13. Erie Orchards in Erie, MI has blueberries for u-pick for $2.50 per pound. They should have berries until August 14th. For more information you can call them at 734-848-4518 or visit their website.
14. Sandy Acres Blueberry Farm in Belleville is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9am to 5pm for u-pick. Their phone number 734-657-2828.
15. Buchan’s Blueberry Hill in Traverse City are NOW open for u-pick. The cost is $1.85 per pound. They recommend you call ahead for picking conditions. You can reach them at 231-223-4846 or visit their website.
Looking for a way to use up some blueberries. Check out my recipe for homemade blueberry lemonade. It’s delicious!