While I have spend the last few weeks talking about this year’s crop of strawberries in Michigan, it is time to start looking into the future and the future is cherries! We are roughly a week (in some cases less) until farms in southern Michigan begin to offer u-pick cherries. Throughout the season, follow my blog for weekly updates from farms across the state.
(1) Kapnick Orchards in Britton will be offering u-pick sweet cherries from July 1st-5th. Hours will be 8am until 6:30 pm on the 1st, 2nd and 5th of July. On the 4th & 5th they will close at 5 pm. They are charging $2.25/lb. Customers need to bring their own containers and ladders. An 8′ ladder will be sufficient. For more information, call 877-450-6096.
(2) Wasem Fruit Farm in Milan should have tart cherries available to pick sometime in early July. They grow Montmorency and Balatan cherries. Call 734-482-2342 for more information.
(3) Frank Farms in Berrien Center is opening Saturday, June 25th at 7am for sweet u-pick cherries. They are open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The price is $2.00 a pound and they will provide containers for you to pick in. For picking conditions, call (269) 461-4125.
(4) Erwin Orchards are located in South Lyon on Silver Lake Road will have u-pick cherries this season. For more info call 248-437-4701.
(5) Corey Lake Orchards in Three Rivers are already open for u-pick sweet cherries. They have a limited supply so call ahead (269-244-5690). The cherries come in these colors: black, red, yellow, and yellow-red. They will have sour cherries around June 27th. The cost is $1.50/lb.
(6) Fruit Acres Farm in Coloma will have sweet cherries for picking starting July 1st, and sour cherries starting July 8th. For more info call (269) 208-3591.
(7) Tree-Mendus Fruit Farm in Eau Claire has over 15 varieties of Sweet Cherries starting in mid-June with Cavalier and Viva, then Hartland, Sam, Rainier,Schmidt, Ulster, Royalton, Bing, Lapins, Hedelfingen, and more. Tart cherry harvest begins in July with Montmorency, and continues with the Balaton, Surefire, North star, and Meteor. Sweet cherries are ready now and the sour ones will be ready around July 1st. They also offer a pitting machine, so you can pit your cherries before you head home. For more info, call 269-782-7101.
(8) Lehman’s Orchard in Niles will have sour cherries available for picking in July. For more info, call 269-683-9078.
(9) Farmer White’s in Williamsburg will have cherries ready for picking around July 15th. For more info, call (231) 632-1500.
(10) King Orchards in Kewadin will begin picking sweet cherries on July 12th and sour cherries on July 18th. For more info, call 877-937-5464.
(11) Rennie Orchards in Williamsburg will be offering u-pick cherries around July 6th. For more info, call (231) 264-8387.
Other Sources for Michigan Cherries
(1) Schultz Fruitridge Farms in Mattawan will have sweet and tart cherries available for purchase shortly.
(2) Gallagher’s Farm Market in Traverse City will be selling tart and sweet cherries this year. Call (231) 947-1689 for more info.