Have you gotten your strawberries yet this year? Your last chance may be this weekend. A lot of farms are reporting they still have plenty of berries to pick but most likely after the weekend rush, the crops will be near their end. So make sure you get out and pick while you have the chance, don’t wait another week, or you might completely miss out. Unless you are located further north in Michigan, where the season is really just getting started.
I got a chance to pick strawberries at Whittaker’s Berry Farm in Ida last Sunday. The people were friendly, the berries were delicious, and fun was had by all.
(1) Whittaker’s Berry Farm in Ida say “BEAUTIFUL BERRIES STILL AVAILABLE! Recent warmer temperatures and rain has not impacted the berries at all! In fact they are still VERY ABUNDANT and BEAUTIFUL! Visit the farm soon to experience GREAT PICKING!” Their price is $1.30/lb with containers included. For already picked berries the price is $3.25/qt. For more details, call (734) 269-6612
(2) Frank Farms in Berrien Center is NOW open for u-pick. They are charging $1/lb and provide containers. They are open 7am-7pm daily. They expect the season to last about another week. For picking conditions, call (269) 461-4125.
(3) Stovers Farm Market in Berrien Springs should still be open for picking strawberries. For more info, call 269-471-140
(4) Harvey’s Farm in Tekonsha still has lots of good picking available. They charge $1.50/quart. Call (517) 767-3408 for info.
(5) Rowe’s Produce Farm in Ypsilanti is OPEN for u-pick. They say that the size and quality of the berries is still good! Read about my experience picking their last year. For more updates join “THE LIST” by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
(6) Felzke Farms in DeWitt (just outside of Lansing) is open for u-pick! The cost is $1.50 per pound. They are open Mon-Sat from 8am till 6pm. Sunday 10am-4pm. For more info call (517) 669-9459.
(7) Bixby Orchards in Berrien Springs is NOW open for u-pick. The picking is located on Daniel Boone Trail (the road runs between Pokagon and US 31). For more updates check out their facebook page.
(8) Earl’s Farm Market in Fennville still has some strawberries. The picking is light now and the berries are medium sized. Hurry in while they are still available. Call (269) 227-2074 for picking conditions/updates.
(9) Mandigo Farms in Paw Paw should now be open for u-pick, call (269) 657-4481 to confirm. They supply containers. They are open daily 8 am-5 pm.
(11) Spicer Orchards in Fenton says they are at the peak of their season. Call ahead for conditions: (810) 632-7692
(13) Miller’s Big Red in Washington is NOW open for u-pick from 9am-5pm daily. Call (586) 752-7888 for updates/crop conditions.
(14) Verellen Orchards in Romeo is OPEN for u-pick. For more info their phone number is 586-752-2989.
(15) Middleton Berry Farm in Ortonville is NOW open for u-pick! Call (248) 628-1819 for updates.
(16) AJ’s Berry Farm in Lachine (15 miles west of Alpena) is OPEN for u-pick as of today. For more info call (989) 379-3061.
(17) Westview Orchards in Washington Township says the strawberries are beautiful. They open for u-pick daily from 8am-6pm. For more info call 866-WVO-4-FUN.
(18) Krupp Farms in Comstock Park are at the peak of their strawberry season. U-pick berries cost $1.30 per pound. For more info call (616) 8870-8271
Other Sources for Michigan Strawberries
(1) Nye’s Apple Barn in St. Joesph says to hurry in and get your strawberries before they are gone.
(2) Fruit Acres Farm Market & U-Pick in Coloma have 8 quart flats for $25.99.
(3) Schultz Fruitridge Farms in Mattawan has already picked berries until Saturday, June 25th. Hurry in soon!
(4) Chelsea’s Farm Fresh Produce has picked strawberries available daily. They are located at 130 S. Main St,, Brooklyn, MI 49230. Their phone number is 517-414-3003.