Recent extremely hot weather has forced my family to retreat to the coolness of a hotel room. I don't have one of those fancy hotel rooms with a built in kitchen. All I have is a fridge, a microwave, and my electric skillet I brought from home. I thought this would be the best small kitchen appliance to have at my disposal. I was originally going to cook some chicken in it, until I thought that the risk of cross contamination in a hotel room with kids under my feet all the time was too much. So I had to opt for a store bought rotisserie chicken. In order to help stretch that chicken out into more meals, I decided to cook some couscous to mix with it. Plus my 20 month old daughter loves couscous!
- Heat your skillet up to medium heat, around 275 degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of cooking oil. When hot add the couscous.
- Stir every so often until the couscous is browned, not burned. If it's browning too quickly turn down the heat.
- Add the hot water. Add salt and pepper to taste and any other seasonings you like.
- Turn down to low or 200 degrees and cover.
- Allow to cook for about 6-8 minutes. All the water should be absorbed.
- Taste to see if it's done. If not add a bit more water and repeat process until it's done.
Use the couscous anyway you like. You can serve it up as a side dish, or did what I did mix it up with some rotisserie to stretch your protein a bit further.