Homemade Christmas gifts can be a lot of fun. It's usually a pretty good way to ensure that the person you are gifting is getting an unique item - you made it! I love gifting food. I have given away gift baskets of spices, homemade truffles, butter mints, peppermint marshmallows, homemade mustard, and homemade chocolate-hazelnut spread (like Nutella). This year I stumbled upon an idea that is unique, easy, and delicious - homemade fruit sugars! What do I mean by fruit sugars? It's a little trick I discovered this past summer to take freeze dried fruit for a spin with granulated sugar thus fruit sugars. Place them into a Ball jar with a ribbon or some Christmas fabric and you got yourself a great gift. You can use this stuff on cereal, you can bake with it, tea, the sky is definitely the limit when you got fruit sugar.
You need to select fruit that is freeze dried, not just dried. Even dried fruit still has some moisture in it. You need fruit that will turn to a powder in a food processor in moments. One of the best sources for this is Trader Joe's. Their prices are cheapest I have found and they have several fruits: mango, blueberry, grape, strawberry, and raspberry.
- ½ oz freeze dried fruit strawberry, blueberry, mango, raspberry, etc.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Measure out your freeze dried fruit.
- Throw into a food processor. Process until fruit is powder.
- Add the sugar. Process for about 30 seconds to combine.
- Pour into a dry container that you can seal up. A 8oz or half pint Ball jar is my top choice.
Leave a Reply