It's that time again. Time to pick those precious little blue bundles of joy - blueberries! Farm across the state are beginning to offer u-pick on their berries. The really hot weather as of late will help the berries to ripen quickly, but it may also mean for a shorter season. I will try and update you will info each week on the status of the crops.
1. Dexter Blueberry Farm (located to the west of Ann Arbor & downtown Dexter) is open for the season. They say the picking conditions are GOOD. They sell for $1.60 a pound. I picked there on last year. Click here to read about my experience.
2. Czaika’s Blueberry Farm in Tawas City as of July 17th, the berries were still green. They haven't announced a start date yet, stay tuned. They are charging $1.00 per pound (that's cheap!) If you wish to reach them you can call them at (989) 326-4638
3. Croswell Berry Farm in Croswell (6 miles west of Lexington) should be open soon. Call 810-679-3273 for crop conditions before coming.
4. Spicer Orchards in Fenton are now picking blueberries (as well as raspberries) For crop updates call (810) 632-7692.
5. Erie Orchards in Erie has blueberries for u-pick for $2.50 per pound. For more information you can call them at 734-848-4518.
6. Sandy Acres Blueberry Farm in Belleville offers u-pick, but I do not have any further info at this time. You can contact them at 734-657-2828.
7. Buchan's Blueberry Hill in Traverse City will be opening around the end of July/early August. You can reach them at 231-223-4846.
8. Woodland Berry Farms in Zeeland has u-pick berries available now for $1.35/lb. For more information call them at (616) 875-8853.
9. Jones Berry Farm in Bridgman is open for u-pick. Their hours are 10am-4pm Sunday, closed Mon-Wed, and 9am-6pm on Thurs-Sat. For more info call (269) 465-4745.
10. Rambo Blueberries located in Bridgman is NOW open. Please call ahead to check on the crop, their phone number is (269) 426-4074.
11. Hazen's Farm in Howell is NOW open for the season. For more information call 517-548-1841.
12. Harvey's Farm in Tekonsha OPEN for picking. The cost is $1.50/lb. Their phone number is 517-767-3408.
14. Kendall's Blueberries in Hastings (about 50 miles southwest of Lansing) has u-pick berries, but you need to call ahead as they may be closed for a couple days for ripening. If you wish to contact them, their phone number is 269-945-3735.
15. Kapnick Orchards in Britton (close by to Adrian and Tecumseh) is opening on July 22 for u-pick. The cost will be $2.25/lb. Their phone number is 517-423-7419.
Looking for a way to use up some blueberries. Check out my recipe for homemade blueberry lemonade. It's delicious!