UPDATE: Check out my report on the 2013 Michigan Cherry Crop
It's time! Time to pick cherries! Farms across the state of Michigan are open for u-pick. But you need not wait. Some places that don't have a lot of u-pick trees are already picked out. The picking conditions seem to vary alot and they aren't just depend on how far north or south a farm is.
(1) Kapnick Orchards in Britton is picked out of u-pick cherries for the season. You can still buy already picked cherries. For more information, call 877-450-6096.
(2) Wasem Fruit Farm in Milan are opening for u-pick sour/tart cherries on Thursday, July 6th. They are open from 9am to 6pm daily (except Wednesdays). They grow Montmorency and Balatan cherries. Call 734-482-2342 for more information. They also offer u-pick on currants and gooseberries around the same time as the cherries.
(3) Frank Farms in Berrien Center are NOW picking tart cherries. They are open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The price is $1.00 a pound and they will provide containers for you to pick in. They also offer free pitting. For picking conditions, call (269) 461-4125.
(4) Erwin Orchards are located in South Lyon on Silver Lake Road will have u-pick sweet cherries, starting today. For more info call 248-437-4701.
(5) Corey Lake Orchards in Three Rivers are NOW picking sour cherries.
(6) Fruit Acres Farm in Coloma will have sweet cherries NOW and sour cherries starting July 8th. For more info call (269) 208-3591.
(7) Tree-Mendus Fruit Farm in Eau Claire has over 15 varieties of Sweet Cherries starting in mid-June with Cavalier and Viva, then Hartland, Sam, Rainier,Schmidt, Ulster, Royalton, Bing, Lapins, Hedelfingen, and more. Tart cherry harvest begins in July with Montmorency, and continues with the Balaton, Surefire, North star, and Meteor. Sweet cherries are finished for the year but the sour ones are still available. They also offer a pitting machine, so you can pit your cherries before you head home. For more info, call 269-782-7101.
(8) Lehman's Orchard in Niles NOW has sour cherries available for picking. For more info, call 269-683-9078.
(9) Farmer White's in Williamsburg is just about ready to start offering picking. For exact start day, call (231) 632-1500.
(10) King Orchards in Kewadin will begin picking sweet cherries on July 12th and sour cherries on July 18th. For more info, call 877-937-5464.
(11) Rennie Orchards in Williamsburg is NOW picking both sweet and sour cherries. For more info, call (231) 264-8387.
(12) North Star Organics in Frankfort will have certified organic u-pick cherries (sweet starting July 20th, and sour from July 23rd to 30th). The sweet cherries may long last a day or two, so hurry in fast. For more info, call (231) 352-4865.
(13) Santucci Farm in Traverse City will open for u-pick for one day, Sunday, July 10th. They will then open for the rest of the season on Thursday, July 14th. They have both sweet and tart cherries. For more info, call (517) 974-7233.
Other Sources for Michigan Cherries
(1) Schultz Fruitridge Farms in Mattawan will have sweet and tart cherries available for purchase shortly.
(2) Gallagher’s Farm Market in Traverse City will be selling tart and sweet cherries this year. Call (231) 947-1689 for more info.
Leave a Reply