We are fast approaching the peak raspberry season in Michigan. Some farms have fall berries ripe for the picking and some farms are still waiting. If you haven't gotten your raspberries yet this year, you still have plenty of time. Raspberry season lasts until the first frost (around the start of October).
Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor area)
1. Rowe's Produce Farm is NOW open almost everyday for raspberry picking. They still may have to close for ripening some days, so it's still best to call ahead to see if they are picking the day you want to come. You can reach them at (734) 482-8538 or visit their website. Click here to read about my experience picking there.
2. Makielski Berry Farm (located on Platt Road, south of Michigan Ave) currently has raspberries available for picking. They also have blackberries. You can call their info line for more details: (734) 572-0060 or visit their website
Lansing Area (Mid-Michigan)
1. Gruber's Farm in Williamston (1061 E. Sherwood, Williamston, MI) is saying their fall raspberry picking will begin on Tuesday, August 24th. Their phone number is (517) 655-2901.
2. Swallowtail Farm (1633 Hagadorn Rd, Mason, MI 48854) expects to open soon. They are waiting for enough berries to ripen up. For updates call (517) 980-6634.
3. Hazen's Farm in Howell, MI should have raspberries ready anytime now. For more information call 517-548-1841. Click here for their website.
Northern Lower Peninsula
1. Kiteley's Farm Market (03805 Brock Road Charlevoix, MI. 49720) may still have raspberries available for picking. Call ahead at (231) 547-2318. Click here for their website.
2. AJ's Berry Farm in Lachine (15 miles to the west of Alpena) should have fall raspberries available soon. For more information call 989-379-3061 or visit their website.
3. Potter Road Raspberries in Traverse City has raspberries available for u-pick until the first frost. They have 9 different varieties available throughout the season. To get there follow Garfield Rd. south, past South Airport Rd. to Potter Rd. and turn east. They are one quarter mile down on the right hand side. Look for signs! Self-serve stand is in front of the house. For picking conditions, call 231-947-6457.
Grand Rapids area (southwestern Michigan)
1. Bird Berry Farm in Belding (in Ionia County, about 45 minutes to the northeast of Grand Rapids) will have raspberries to pick in the fall. For more information, call them at 616-794-5041.
2. Sandy Bottom Berries in Rockford (in Kent County) is OUT of summer raspberries, but they will have fall raspberries starting in the next couple weeks. Call them at (616)225-9376 to see if they have started picking. Click here for their website.
3. DeLange's Red Berry Farm in Hudsonville has plenty of raspberries available NOW for u-pick. Their hours are: Monday, Thursday and Saturday, 9am to 3pm. If you have any question you can reach them at 616-875-7117 or visit their website.
Southeastern Michigan (Monroe County/Dundee area)
1. Whittaker's Berry Farm (6724 Todd Road Ida, MI, 48140) NOW has raspberries available almost daily. Their hours are Monday-Friday 8 to 8, and Saturday and Sunday 8 to 5. They still may have to close for a day for ripening. Before you go call (734) 269-6612. For visit their Facebook page.
Central Southern Michigan (Coldwater/Marshall area)
1. Harvey's Farm in Tekonsha, MI NOW are picking fall raspberries. They expect to be open daily. They are located right off I-69, exit #25 (head west on M-60 ¼ mile to 15 Mile Road. Go north ¼ mile to the farm located at 2651 15 Mile Rd.). Click here for their website or call them to check on picking conditions at (517) 767-3408
I will add more farms to the list as the season continues on.