During the height of squash season I made sure to stock up on plenty of the long keeping veggie, so I would have some long after going to the farmer's market was a distance memory. As the freezing rain is falling outside my house on top of several inches of snow, I pulled a butternut squash out of the pantry. Now to figure out what to do with it. I had some Pinata apples in the fridge, one of the best winter time apples. I like the Pinata apple because of the tropical undertones to it's flavor.
Then it was time to pull out my favorite non-stick sautee pan. Here are my notes from the recipe, along with the full recipe below ready for your printer.
1. I used 1 small butternut squash that I got for $1 at the farmer's market last fall and I used 1 Pinata apple. This makes enough to serve 2 or 1 large helping. If you want to make more or your store only has monster butternut squash, use about 2-3 Pinatas (and then just double everything in the recipe accordingly)
2. I saute used butter and some sunflower oil. Adding a high smoke point oil like sunflower will increase the smoke point of the butter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it smoking!
3. Cook the squash until it has browned like in the photo above.
4. I added the maple syrup, apple cider, vinegar, and nutmeg at the end because I wanted their full flavor without being diminished through too much heat.
- 1 Pinata apple peeled and cubed
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon high smoke point cooking oil I used sunflower
- 1 teaspoon good apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter along with the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add the squah along with the pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook the squash for 8 minutes, turning occasionally for even browning.
- Add the apple and cook for 5 minutes or until the apples have softened.
- Add the nutmeg,maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot