Change up your French toast game by making it more festive by using egg nog. Find out how you can make this recipe from ingredients you get at ALDI.
Do you love French toast? It's always been a favorite of mine.
It's a great choice to make for Christmas breakfast. I want to make it more special to make it holiday worthy. I simply do that by replacing the milk or half & half with egg nog.
This is a great way to use leftover egg nog from your Christmas party or if you got some bread that was getting old. French toast is all about leftovers. It was originally invented as a way to use leftover bread.
I want to show you how to make this delicious breakfast on a budget by using ingredients found at ALDI.
Here is what you will need from ALDI for this recipe.
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup egg nog (whatever brand your ALDI carries)
- 1 loaf of either L'oven Fresh Artisanal Style Bread or Specially Selected Sourdough Bread
- 1 stick of butter
- Specially Selected Maple Syrup
Choose between the Artisanal Style Bread or their Sourdough. I like the Artisanal bread as it has thicker slices than their cheapest bread. I do think the egg nog flavor is more pronounced when made with the Artisanal Style. The Sourdough will absorb the liquid better and has a better texture. Pick which is more important for you.
This is optional but I like to grate whole nutmeg into the eggs & egg nog to give it even more flavor. Aldi doesn't have whole nutmeg so I get that elsewhere.
Serve with some real maple syrup (it's the only way to go!). ALDI has a good price on maple syrup.
Mix the eggs and egg nog into a wide baking dish or large mixing bowl. Place the slices into the baking dish or bowl to soak for 1 minute or 2 at a time for each side.
I like to use my electric griddle to cook my French toast. You can make more toast in less time that way. Just spread some butter on the surface and cook each piece about 2-3 minutes per side.
When you are all done you can turn the griddle down to warm and put all the slices on to keep warm.
Egg Nog French Toast
- 1 loaf ALDI Artisanal Style Bread or Sourdough
- 1 dozen eggs
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg optional
- butter for the griddle
- real maple syrup for serving
- Heat up an electric griddle to a medium high setting. Do the same thing if you are using a frying pan instead.
- Rub some butter onto the griddle.
- Mix the eggs, egg nog, and nutmeg (if using) in a large, wide container or mixing bowl.
- Allow each slice of bread a minute or two to soak up the liquid before placing onto the griddle.
- Cook until browned on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- To keep warm, place in a oven set to it's lowest temperature.
Leave a Reply