Click here for the most up to date blueberry news.
Time again for my weekly update on the blueberry crop in Michigan. More varieties are becoming available and picking is pretty good across much of the state. Here are the updates from the farms I am following:
1. Dexter Blueberry farm (located to the west of Ann Arbor & downtown Dexter) has excellent picking conditions right now. Their Jersey variety has just come available and should be ripe for the picking for the next 3 weeks. They sell for $1.60 a pound. I picked there on Saturday, July 31st. Click here to read about my experience. Click here to visit their website.
2. Woodland Berry Farms in Zeeland, MI has three varieties of blueberries currently available for u-pick: Blue Crop, Jersey, and Blue Ray. They charge $1.25 a pound. For more information call them at (616) 875-8853 or visit their website.
3. Jones Berry Farm in Bridgman, MI is NOW open for u-pick. They are saying they have a "bountiful blueberry crop". Click here to visit their website.
4. Rambo Blueberries also located in Bridgman, has the Jersey variety now available to pick. Their Bluecrop berries are almost gone. They recommend you call ahead before you come in. Their phone number is (269) 426-4074. Click here to visit their website.
5. Czaika’s Blueberry Farm in Tawas City is opening up this Saturday, July 31st. They are charging $1.00 per pound (that's cheap!) If you wish to reach them you can call them at (989) 326-4638 or visit their website for updates.
6. Croswell Berry Farm in Croswell, MI (6 miles west of Lexington) should be open for picking now. Call 810-679-3273 for crop conditions before coming. Click here for their website.
7. Hazen's Farm in Howell, MI is NOW open for picking. I had a friend visit their farm yesterday and said the picking was great. They are charging $1.42 a pound. For more information call 517-548-1841. Click here for their website.
8. Harvey's Farm in Tekonsha, MI is NOW open for picking. They charge $1.25 per pound. They are located right off I-69, exit #25 (head west on M-60 ¼ mile to 15 Mile Road. Go north ¼ mile to the farm located at 2651 15 Mile Rd.). Click here for their website.
9. DeGrandchamp's Blueberry Farm in South Haven says they are at the peak of their season, so come on over. They are open daily from 8am-6pm. Click here for their website.
10. Kendall's Blueberries in Hastings (about 50 miles southwest of Lansing) are almost out of blueberries. The birds have been having a field day on the crop, so it is becoming more of a search now. Before coming I recommend calling ahead to make sure they are still picking. Their phone number is 269-945-3735 or click here for their website.
11. Kapnick Orchards in Britton (close by to Adrian and Tecumseh) will open for u-pick on Friday, July 30th. They are picked out of their early variety and are just waiting to open again with the later varieties. They charge $2.00 a pound. Their phone number is 517-423-7419. Click here for their website.
12. Spicer Orchards in Fenton is currently open for picking. Their phone number is (810) 632-7692 and click here for their website.
13. Erie Orchards in Erie, MI has blueberries for u-pick for $2.50 per pound. For more information you can call them at 734-848-4518 or visit their website.
14. Sandy Acres Blueberry Farm in Belleville is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9am to 5pm for u-pick. Their phone number 734-657-2828.
15. Buchan's Blueberry Hill in Traverse City are NOW open for u-pick. The cost is $1.85 per pound. They recommend you call ahead for picking conditions. You can reach them at 231-223-4846 or visit their website.
Keep coming back to the website for updates as the season progresses.