As we head into the middle of August, my tastebuds are awaiting the arrival of this year’s SweeTango crop. As I have the last couple years I will be keeping track of where to purchase this out of this world apple. If you haven’t been introduced to SweeTango yet, what you need to know is that it is a cross between a Honeycrisp and Zestar apple that is crisp with a spicy taste. It is one of my favorite apples.
About the Growers/Suppliers
Farms that belong to the Next Big Thing Growers’ Co-op will have them available at their farm market, stands, and farmer’s markets. The grocery stores will be supplied by 3 main sources. Stemilt supplies them to stores that are west of the Rocky Mountains. Pepin Heights supplies them to the Midwest. Fowler Farms serves the East Coast. There is also a source that ships in Canada.
The 2012 Crop
Before when get into where they will/are available, I want to talk about the crop this year. Here in Michigan we unfortunately experienced one of the worst crop failures in decades due to hot March temperature followed by several freezes in April. Fortunately other parts of the country did better. Wood Orchard out of Wisconsin said their crop looks to be about the same of last year. The cool lake winds worked in their favor during the warm March. Stemilt, that supplier to the West Coast, did say they suffered some hail damage this summer, but are expecting to harvest/pack 65,000 (40 lb) cartons this year. They expect to begin their harvest the week of August 20th.
** UPDATE 9/10/12 ** SweeTango apples are beginning to be shipped across the country. I have two lists. First is a state by state list and the second is just a list of chain stores that will carry the apple. Remember not all stores will get the same amount or get their shipments at the same time, so it’s best to call ahead if you are planning an extra trip. I have also included farms in the state by state list.
Lists of Locations for SweeTango by State
Stay tuned for more locations as the season begins. If you are seeking for them in a certain area, please leave a comment below and I will try to find out where you can find them.
1. Bakker’s Acres (2677 Setterbo Road Suttons Bay, MI 49682 – Phone: 231-271-3673) has them available NOW! (Updated: 8/30/12)
2. Rennhack Orchards Market (3731 W Polk Rd, Hart, MI, 49420 – Phone: 231-873-7523) is expected to begin harvesting SweeTango August 24th.
3. Meijer stores (I will list confirmed stores)
4. Nino Salvaggio (St. Clair Shores, Troy, Clinton Township)
5. Papa Joe’s (Rochester, Birmingham)
6. Hiller’s (Ann Arbor, Berkley, Commerce Township, Northville, Plymouth, Union Lake, West Bloomfield)
7. Westborn Market (Dearborn, Berkley, Livonia)
8. Whole Foods Market (I will list confirmed stores)
9. Husteds Market (Kalamazoo)
10. Plum Market (Ann Arbor) has Michigan grown ones for $3.99/lb
11. Busch’s (spotted some in Saline for $2.29/lb same price as the honeycrisp)
1. Center Creek Orchard (Located 8 miles south east of Fairmont MN) will have them when they open Labor Day. Their phone number is (507) 773-4547.
2. Pepin Heights Retail Store in Lake City, Minnesota will have them after August 29th. Click here for their website.
3. Pine Tree Apple Orchard (450 Apple Orchard Road, White Bear Lake, MN) says their crop looks good but they don’t have a date firmed up yet. For more information, call 651-429-7202.
4. Coborn’s stores
5. Festival Food stores
6. Kowalski’s Markets (locations: Eagan Market, Eden Prairie Market, Grand Avenue Market, Lyndale Avenue Market, Oak Park Heights Market, Parkview Market, Uptown Market, White Bear Lake Market, Woodbury Market)
7. Lunds & Byerly’s
8. Rainbow Foods
1. Whittier Fruit Farm (219 Whittier Rd., Rochester, NY) is harvesting them now (Updated 9/6/12)
2. Fairway Market (locations in Queens, NY, Harlem/Manhattan, NY, Pelham Manor, NY, Plainview, NY, Red Hook/Brooklyn, NY, Upper East Side Manhattan, Upper West Side Manhattan, Westbury, NY)
3. Whole Foods (confirmed in Manhattan)
1. Fairway Market in Stamford
2. Whole Foods Market (confirmed in West Hartford)
3. Fresh Market (confirmed in Avon)
1. Fairway Market in Paramus
2. The Fresh Market (confirmed in Montvale)
1. Bristol Farms in Pasadena
2. Mollie Stones (locations in Burlingame, Greenbrae, Palo Alto, San Bruno, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Sausalito)
3. Nugget Market
4. Vons (confirmed in Yorba Linda)
1. Wood Orchard Market (Door County, 8112 State Highway 42, Egg Harbor, WI – Phone: 920-868-2334) has them available now at their market and September 4th at their apple store (Updated 8/30/12)
2. Brennans Market (locations in Brookfield, Oconomowoc, Madison, and Monroe)
3. Festival Food stores
4. Sendik’s Food Markets (locations Elm Grove, Franklin, Germantown, Grafton, Greenfield, Mequon, New Berlin, Wauwatosa, West Bend, Whitefish Bay)
Whole Foods Market (confirmed in New Orleans)
1. Central Market (locations in Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Plano, San Antonio, Southlake)
2. H-E-B stores
1. Marsh stores
2. Whole Foods (confirmed in Indianapolis)
3. Walmart (confirmed in Bedford)
Walmart (confirmed in Laurel)
Whole Foods (confirmed in Raliegh)
Kroger (confirmed in Augusta)
Publix (select stores)
Amazon Fresh (Seattle)
New Seasons Market
Chain Store Listing
Trader Joe’s (Eastern states only)
The Fresh Market
Safeway (Northwest, Northern California, Phoenix areas)
Sam’s Club (West)
Vons – Pavilions
Here are some apple related kitchen tools I recommend:
Amco Dial-A-Slice Adjustable Apple Corer and Slicer : Allows you to slice apples into either 8 or 16 pieces
Zyliss Soft Skin Peeler : The best peeler I have ever owned. Does a great job peeling an apple.
Mirro Foley 2-Quart Stainless Steel Food Mill : A great tool for making your own applesauce. You can make the sauce without having to do any peeling.