Learn all about the Pumpkin Caramel Kringle at Trader Joe's. What's the best way to cook it? Also learn about some of the other exciting pumpkin goodies to pick up this season.
It's not pumpkin season at Trader Joe's until I have had my first slice of Pumpkin Kringle!
It's one of our family favorite treats to pickup every fall. In this post we are gong to tell you all about it, teach you how to reheat it in the air fryer, and some of the other products we are loving this year.
❔ What is a Kringle?
This is a delicious pastry made at O&H Danish Bakery in Racine, Wisconsin. Trader Joe's help me discover this bakery, and I had a chance to go there a many years ago and enjoy their pastries directly from them.
What is a kringle? A kringle is a round pastry made of several layers of flaky dough - very hard to replicate in the home kitchen. It has a filling inside, in this case a spiced pumpkin caramel filling - very yummy.
It is topped off with an icing and small piece of pecans. I am not a big pecan fan, but the fact they are cut into such small pieces I really appreciated - very subtle. The whole thing is very well put together. How can you go wrong with buttery, flaky dough? You can't!
Danish Kringles at Trader Joe's go for $8.99 in the store, compared to buying them online from the bakery, where you can pay up tp $23.99, so a big time savings.
🔥 How to Reheat
The kringle comes already baked. You can enjoy it as it, but I believe it's best when it's hot.
Sure you could just put it into the microwave, but it will make the pastry more soggy and you lose that flaky texture it's known for. The oven is a much better option. Place the Kringle into the oven at 350 degrees for 3 ½ minutes - after you remove all the packaging first. You can place it on a sheet pan.
Or you could also use an air fryer. Find the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Here is a summary of what to do.
Cut the Kringle into slices that will fit in your air fryer. Don't overcrowd the basket, work in batches. Cook for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. I found that the Kringle didn't stick at all, so you don't need to spray anything or use parchment paper.
I found the air fryer did a great job of getting the slices crispy, better than the oven.
Now let's look at some other pumpkin items to get this year at Trader Joe's.
🍝 Savory Items
Here are my favorite items that I would consider on the savory side.
Honey Roasted Pumpkin Ravioli
I am a fan of these Ravioli in moderation. They are pretty sweet. I did find it hard to eat a big serving of them. I think they would be best paired with another ravioli to give your taste buds some nice contrast.
When cooking them I boil them first, drain, then fry them in some butter to brown them and give them more bite. Add fresh chopped sage to the butter if you have it.
Trader Joe's has pie pumpkin, perfect for making your very own pumpkin treats. Buy some now and save them - maybe as a display in your living room? Then cook them up to make a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
You will also want to check out the small Tiger Stripe pumpkins. They are small, but pack a sweet, nutty flavor. They produce about a 1 cup of pumpkin when cooked.
Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
We enjoy roasting pumpkin or any squash seeds in this house. I never tried selling my own You can shell them yourself of course, but it's not an easy task and takes some time.
On a recent trip, my wife was really craving a salad (yes we eat salads on vacation) so I picked up some of TJ's Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds. They are coated in a butter-sugar toffee glaze (mouth watering yet?). They are seasoned with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice and then kettle-roasted.
Throw them on top of salad, along with the best in seasons apple and you'll want to eat salad for every meal. I have a salad containers from Rubbermaid that have a separate container for your salad toppers. These pumpkin seeds are definitely going in those.
Our family also likes to slice up some apples, add smooth peanut butter, and then put these pumpkin seeds on top.
Pumpkin Spice Bagels
I had my doubts that I would really like this, but I thought they were great. I like the bites of pumpkin spice flavor that you got through the bagel. Just some cream cheese or Kerrygold butter. That's all you need to enjoy these bagels.
🍪 Sweet Items
When I want something for the old sweet tooth, here are the family favorites.
Pumpkin Spiced Teeny Tiny Pretzels
These were so good, I am upset I didn't buy more than 1 bag. There are very well balanced and not overly sweet. You will love the small size of these cute, tasty pretzels.
This is an already blended yogurt that is not too sweet. It has a nice tang to it and plenty of pumpkin flavor.
As much as I would like to make a complete from scratch breakfast for the kids every morning, that isn't a reality in our lives at this point. In days where we have to run out of the house fast we usually have some type of cereal bars on hand. What I like about the pumpkin ones is that they aren't available all the time, so it's new and refreshing when compared to the same old flavors.
The flavor of them reminds me a lot of the Little Debbie Pumpkin Delights I had as a kid, but I feel better about eating things - I still can't call them a health food.
Organic Pumpkin Spice Granola Bark
If you haven't already been driving to Trader Joe's yet, time to get in your car. This bark has got it all going on and more. Pumpkin spice flavored granola is topped off with 66% dark chocolate with roasted pumpkin seeds on top. This is a mic drop moment 🙂
I can't forget the cookies! Our two favorites this time of year are the Pumpkin Flavored Joe-Joe's and the Petite Pumpkin Spice Cookies.
Below you will find a list of items that Trader Joe's carried in past years, but I have seen or heard about them being in stores for the current year so I consider them to be discontinued. If you do spot one of these items, leave a comment below and tell me what city you got it it in. Help to prove me wrong!
- Pumpkin O's Cereal - They made their debut in 2014. The shape got a bigger the following year. They become more airy or the lack of a better term. Gives them a deeper crunch. This take on Cheerios, has actual pumpkin in it, along with a bit of spice. They are a mix of brown rice and oats. Of course they are good with milk, but they get soggy really fast. I recommend eating small portions at a time. Or you can enjoy them as a snack. They were be an excellent edition to any trail or party mix.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Cookie Butter - One of Trader Joe's signature treats is their cookie butter. How does that not sound delicious? While have made it popular in the states, this spread got it's start in Belgium. It is basically cookies that have been crushed into a fine powder and then ingredients are added to make in spreadable. While cookie butters is not a Trader Joe's invention, I do believe the Pumpkin Spice Spice flavor may very well be. The cookies used are their Pumpkin Joe Joe's - which is a pumpkin cookie with a pumpkin crème filling. This butter is different in that it isn't perfectly smooth. There is some chunkage.
- Country Pumpkin Spice Granola - Granola isn't too hard to make yourself. It is typically pretty pricey in the store. However this granola at $2.99 for a 16 ounce box was pretty cheap. To me that makes it worth buying. Country Pumpkin Spice granola contains whole grain oats, honey, raisins, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. It makes a great topping for yogurt.
That wraps up my list of the best pumpkin products at Trader Joe's. What other products you like that I don't mention. Feel free to leave a comment below, plus I would love to hear about what you think of any of the products that I mentioned.
Air Fryer Reheated Pumpkin Kringle
- 1 O&H Bakery Pumpkin Kringle
- Slice the Kringle into pieces that will best fit your air fryer.
- Arrange the pieces in the basket. Don't allow them to touch. You will need to work in batches or save some of the Kringle for later.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove with a pair of tongs that won't scratch your air fryer basket.
- When you do your first batch you will want to check them to see how brown they are getting after a couple minutes. Don't want to burn them!
Thank you! This was very helpful. Will be trying the pumpkin spiced seeds and the cereal bars too. Actually, all of the products look very tasty!
You're welcome. I just got more of the pumpkin seeds. I really love them on salads!