Bring together different colored potatoes and sweet potatoes to bring a beautiful side dish to your table. Especially fun to make for Thanksgiving dinner. This will wow your guests. It's simple and easy to do, especially if you have a sous vide machine. Make it with any kind of potato or sweet potato.
This post includes affiliate links. This means that, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. These are products and services I recommend because I use or trust them. Cookies will be used to track the affiliate links you click.
Presentation of food can be a big part of the enjoyment of the Thanksgiving meal.
That's why we want to use all our of best dishes. Even if we hate washing dishes, so we use paper plates instead, there are going to be the finest paper plates you can find!
The dish we are talking about today scores an A+ on presentation. Multi-colored mashed potatoes. Two different colored potatoes together in a beautiful swirl not seen since your last visit to a local ice cream shop.
First we are going to show you how to do this will a mix of mashed and sweet potatoes. Don't like sweet potatoes. Don't worry you can make swirled mashed potatoes by using purple potatoes.
❓ Why They Work Together?
I've gotta to say that I, myself, am not the world's biggest sweet potato fan. If I do eat them I prefer a fried approach over mashed or roasted. They can be a little too sweet for my tastes. When you combine sweet potatoes with mashed potatoes the sweetness is downplayed.
Since we are mashing both of these up, they incorporate really well unlike oil and water.
⚙️ How it Works
The secret to getting a nice swirl is cooking the mashed potatoes and the sweet potatoes separately. If you don't, the color of the sweet potatoes will leach into the potatoes while cooking and won't be able to get the swirl effect.
The easiest way to do this is via sous vide. I vacuum seal the gold potatoes in one bag and the sweet potatoes in another bag and cook them at the same time. That way I don't have two pots going.
But if you don't have an immersion circulator (the device used for sous vide cooking), then you will need to make each part separately and then combine them together.
If you are looking to get an immersion circulator I recommend the Vesta Imersa Elite or the Home Chef Kit that comes with the machine, a vacuum sealer, and some bags.
🍴 Use Your Own Recipe
If you are are already happy with how you make mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes then just use your recipe. Or if you already have them in the fridge ready for turkey day, you can just follow our technique in the recipe card below.
If you want to learn how to make these via sous vide, follow the instructions below.
🛁 Sous Vide Instructions
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 lbs gold (Yukon) potatoes
- 4 tbs butter
- salt to taste
Start by peeling the sweet potatoes. You don't have to peel the gold potatoes.
Cut each type of potatoes into cubes. Place the sweet potatoes and gold potatoes into separate sous vide bags. Add 2 tbs of butter to each bag and salt to taste. Seal and prep your water bath.
Set your water bath to 185 degrees for 1 hour.
When the potatoes are done, remove from the water bath using a long pair of tongs, so you don't splash yourself with hot water. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Get out 2 separate mixing bowls. Place the gold potatoes into one bowl and begin whipping them with a hand mixer. Whip for 10 seconds. Then add a little bit of milk at a time until you get the right consistency. Try not to over whip them - no more than 1 minute total with 30 seconds being ideal.
In the other bowl, add the sweet potatoes. Whip them until smooth. This should take roughly 20 seconds.
Now they are ready to be swirled together.
Here is a short video so you can see how it do it:
🟣 Yellow & Purple Mashed Potatoes
So what if you can't stand sweet potatoes whatsoever. Or you think that combining sweet and gold potatoes isn't for you. You can make these using purple potatoes instead.
It will look like this:
Pretty as well. Just use purple potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Still cook them separately from the gold potatoes otherwise the color will run into the yellow potatoes.
You can also make it purple and yellow by using purple sweet potatoes.
🥔 More Potato Recipes
We got plenty of more potato recipes on this blog. Want to make more with purple potatoes, then try our purple potato salad made with boiled purple potatoes or you can air fry a whole purple potato and have yourself a baked potato.
Try these other mashed potato recipes as well:
Mixed Mashed Potatoes
- prepared mashed potatoes
- prepared sweet potatoes
- **See sous vide instructions in the notes**
- Make sure your mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes are hot before attempting to swirl them together.
- Using a large spoon place spoonfulls of sweet potatoes about an inch apart all over the plate.
- Using the same spoon place spoonfuls of gold potatoes in the spaces between the sweet potato scoops.
- Begin swirling the potatoes together making sweeping movements across and around the scoops of potato. Less is more! Don't swirl too much or there will not be good color definition between the two types of potato.
- Cube both types of potatoes separately and place them into bags for sous vide. I do about 2 pounds of each with 2 tablespoons of butter included in each bag (in other words, 1 tablespoon of butter per pound of potatoes)
- Place one bag on top of the other in your water bath.
- Attach your sous vide machine. Add enough water to get to the minimum fill line for your machine.
- Set to 185 degrees for 1 hour.
- When finished using tongs to remove each bag. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Get out 2 separate mixing bowls. Place the gold potatoes into one bowl beginning whipping them with a hand mixer. Whip for 10 seconds. Then add a little bit of milk at a time until you get the right consistency. Try not to over whip them - no more than 1 minute total with 30 seconds being ideal.
- In the other bowl, add the sweet potatoes. Whip them until smooth. This should take roughly 20 seconds.
- Now they are ready to be swirled together. Follow instructions above.